Thursday, April 21, 2016

Take a Hint

I was chatting with a guy last night. We set up a date for this Saturday. Today he sent a message asking what my plans were for tonight, tomorrow, Saturday, and Sunday. That's kind of how he got around to asking me out last night. So I called, as he asked me to, to tell him my plans...again. He missed the call, but returned it immediately. And said the same thing he did last night: that he wanted to know if there was a time we could get together. I reminded him that we had a date on Saturday for lunch.

Him: "Oh yeah."

I blame it on the fact that he was high last night. Yeah. Because he proudly bragged that he had just smoked weed--"for therapeutic reasons!"--and asked if I smoked it, too. I told him that, as I was active and practicing LDS, that would be a no. (Maybe I should have gone with the colloquial Mormon; possible he read LSD in that....)

I told him while we were on the phone that I was heading to the temple. So he said goodbye so I could get back to what I was doing. Then sent me a picture of himself and his abs. Yeah.... I hadn't felt fabulous about accepting the date in the first place, or reaffirming it a second time. But now I really didn't feel good about it.

While in the temple, I knew I needed to break the date (weed or no weed!!). Over the last few years, I have been open to first or even second dates with men who are not LDS. Because a date is just a date, right? Well, I still agree with that. One date does not mean marriage. Neither does a second or third or....

But in the temple I looked around and was reminded again of my greatest desire. A big reason that I am still single is because I want to be sealed for eternity to my best friend in the temple. I am looking for a man who can do that, and I don't want to risk falling in love with someone who can't take me there. Because that would be too much pain to deal with. I am not that strong. So tonight I decided that if I want that desire, I need to date only men who can satisfy that desire. Most of the men in the last 3 years have been that way, but this new site has flooded me with men who could not (or do not want to) fulfill that desire. And I felt I needed to make a more concrete stand about who I was or wasn't going to date.

So, I left the temple and found a message waiting for me. This is what ensued.

Him: Did you get my picture? 

Me: I did. And I have to be honest: after being in the temple, I feel strongly that I am not the kind of girl who could bring you happiness. And vice versa. It is probably best if we don't go out on Saturday. 

Him: Okay. 
Him: May I send you another? 

Me: No. That won't change my mind. What you look like has nothing to do with the fact that I want to marry in the temple, and you cannot offer me that. Please don't contact me again. 

I am thrilled to say that he hasn't written since, but I was (and still am) worried that when he didn't get my no the first time, he wasn't going to get it the second. I'd call him Mr. Collins, if a former date didn't already have that nickname.

Since I love gifs, I thought I would post a some of my reactions.
*Learning he had forgotten about our date within 18 hours of setting it up.

*His bragging about smoking weed with his friend

*Receiving the unwanted picture.

*His request to send me another picture after I canceled our date.

No comments:

Post a Comment