Tuesday, April 19, 2016

I've Had Worse, But Not Many

Actual things said/done on last night's last-minute date. (And no, the date was not with the guy from the previous post. Thank goodness.)

*An argument about communication. His stance: body language plays absolutely no part in what he is communicating to me. Upon my explaining that I have studied this aspect of communication, he told me I was wrong. He also accused me of making up this "fact" and trying to force it on everyone, because I had low self-esteem.

*He told me that people should be allowed to have their own opinions and views on things. Then a couple minutes later he got very defensive because I kept stating some of my opinions on a movie that differed from his. Then he frustratingly accused me of not letting him have his opinion, when all I was doing was acknowledging that my opinion was different.

*If I could just give you the images in my brain of how he looked as I told him about my job. (This is what led to the argument on his body language having nothing to do with his communication.)

*The few times he stated that he couldn't believe I would need a master's degree for my job. (In all honesty--this is not new. I get that ALL the time from people. Just not multiple times within an hour.)

*His attempts to argue with me that stability is not an important thing to me. Or that, it shouldn't be. That I should take more risks and be willing, like him, to just quit his job and go on and do his own thing. He refused to accept my take that I liked to know I have some financial stability to pay for food and a place to live. He said that wasn't important. If I wasn't able to take risks about that, I would never grow.

*He said that the only kind of books to ever read are print. No one should read electronic books.

*He told me I needed to lighten up when I was telling him that I like to read on my vacations.

*His facial expressions (though according to him I wasn't allowed to be reading his facial expressions) showed complete disbelief that I could possibly have anything going on that would make me so busy that I didn't have as much time to read.

*He thinks I have a terrible job if I have to read for it, even though he still didn't understand why I need to be familiar with books at my job.

Honestly, there was an hour's worth of stuff like this. I can't remember most of it because it was screaming red flags everywhere. I was trying to delete it as it came while trying to figure out how soon I could get out of there.

I left that date realizing I hadn't been on such a bad date in a very long time. So there is the Pollyanna Positive Point! I've had many dates in the last couple of years, and they have been SCADS better than last night. That, and I met my monthly goal for dates. Go me.




No comments:

Post a Comment