Sunday, September 20, 2015

Growing Up Includes Unexpected Twists and Heartache

One of the biggest adjustments I had to make 2 years ago when entering the LDS mid-single adult world, was how much I would be surrounded by divorce. I estimate that 80% of my prospects are divorced men. Not that the divorced part is a problem. I had figured out years before that how I felt with that factor, and I knew I was open to it depending on circumstances, situation, etc. What shocked me was how many were divorcees.

In fact, usually the first two get-to-know-you questions I mostly get (after "What's your name?") are

1.) How many kids do you have?

and

2) How long have you been divorced?

It is the majority, and I'm not in it. Especially considering my age. I am the baby in a group that I have no similar experiences with. But that's a post for another time.

This was just an intro to relate to some sad news I heard today. As I've been around more and more divorcees, I've had the tiniest glimpse into the rough world they navigate daily.

Ten years ago I was the 2nd Counselor in the Young Women's Presidency. I was over the Beehives. I adored my girls. It was one of the best callings I've ever had. I've been a proud Mama Bee, watching my girls grow up. One of them did not stay with the Church, but she is finding happiness in her life as a mom. One is doing her best staying with the Church, and working, and getting school done. Two of them returned in the last year from their missions--one of them looks as if she's dating someone now! They're both at my alma mater, BYU. And one of them was sealed in the temple while the other 2 were on missions. It made my heart happy to see their lives going on in their happiness.

But tonight I learned that my Beehive who was sealed in the temple is having to deal with her husband filing for divorce. She's only 24. It hurts my heart to think she is now going to have to endure what my divorcee friends have had to deal with. The only positive is that there are no children involved. Yet I am grateful to know she has a very strong support system, and always had a strong testimony of the Gospel. I pray she stays close to the Lord. That she becomes stronger from this ordeal. She is so beautiful and has grown up so much since I first was her teacher. If she can pull through stronger and better from this terrible turn of events, she will have so much more to offer someone more deserving.

No comments:

Post a Comment