Tuesday, February 21, 2017

What's in a Name?

In my Wife for Life class, we talk about Unsolvables. This is my 4th semester taking the class, but the first time I have had a man in my life that this is beginning to apply to. Last week was the lesson Unsolvables came up in. And I knew that mon amour and I are still getting to know each other, still learning. We had not stumbled upon any Unsolvables, yet. Until last night. Who knew we would have SUCH trouble with names for children! I haven't a clue why he brought up that subject during our pre-FHE dinner, but he did. And for the next half hour or more, we agreed on absolutely nothing! Well, maybe at one tiniest instance I brought him around to my view on one name. But that was it. Boys. Girls. Pronunciations. Nicknames. We were so far apart on it, it was laughable.

Which is exactly what we did. Knowing it was an Unsolvable when we hit it just made us laugh. Eventually we will work around and through it. There is no rush on it, obviously. We have 5 more months before another 9 months of waiting and deciding is even a possibility. But it is so much more pleasant knowing as one goes into a relationship that there will be some things that will take a WHOLE lot more work to compromise on, and that's OK. It's normal. And it doesn't destroy any part of our relationship or love for each other because we know how to deal with it.

But of ALL the things--names? Hilarious to think that Shakespeare was wrong. And Anne of Green Gables knew it all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment